4.28.2012

Cranioplasty

My first couple days in Neurosurgery have been awesome. I have spent 90% of the time scrubbing into cases so I have had the chance to participate is some cool surgeries. Next week I will spend some time on the floors as well as in the OR which I am looking forward to.

Some of the procedures that I've been in on this week:
1. C1-C3 Fusion for an occipital fx
2. Carpal Tunnel release
3. Lateral Approach L3-L5 fusion for scoliosis
4. Burr Hole and EVD placement
5. Cranioplasty

The Cranioplasty was one of my favorite so far, so that is what I'll write about today.

Indications:
1. Cosmetic restoration of external skull symmetry
2. Sx relief secondary to craniotomy
3. Protection from trauma in an area void of skull bone

Material Options (some):
1. Methylmethacrylate
2. Titanium mesh
3. Split thickness calvaria
*It is recommended that foreign materials be perforated to prevent fluid collections underneath


No comments:

Post a Comment